Fiercely independent and gifted rapper Tone Atlas follows up last year’s fantastic ‘Death Of A Salesman’ with a cinematic and gripping new EP, ‘Hors D’Oeuvres.’ It’s one of the Syracuse, N.Y. native’s finest works to date, and he’s only just getting started.
Right from the jump, Tone makes his feelings clear with a spoken-word piece inspired by classic HBO film, “Gotti”. Before passionately rapping over the piano-laced beat that serves as the EP’s theme, he addresses the lack of timeless Hip-Hop being released, in a generation where new artists hop from one trend to the next.
With such an introduction, you’d almost expect a miserly and aggravated approach from Tone on here. Instead, he sounds inspired and hungry while tackling a variety of topics. He speaks on the issues facing his hometown of Syracuse (“The Coldest Winter” feat. Will McGrady, Banko Fresh & Rashad), the importance of being true to yourself (“‘97 Sh*t”), and never selling your soul for profit (“Madness”).
“As long as I’m making music and I’m in this industry, I won’t create anything that doesn’t represent me,” Tone says of his bars on “Madness.” He recognizes that being independent is one of the most difficult things to do in his industry, simply because there’s limited money and resources to get a project off the ground.
“There are a lot of talented people in this world who will never be heard,” he adds. “I’m blessed to be in the position I’m in.”
Tone’s position is one of an underground force in Hip-Hop, and in case you’re wondering, yes, the name ‘Hors D’Oeuvres’ indeed points to this project being an appetizer for a full-length album. But before then, Tone has plans to drop another EP, which will have a single producer and its own concept. Stay tuned.
“Madness” is the darkest track on the “Hors D’Oeuvres” Project/EP The beat is the driving force behind the lyrics and it brought out some of my most true feelings on various subjects that were going on in my life at the time and I didn’t hold back.
Tone’s self-released ‘Hors D’Oeuvres’ EP is now available for stream and purchase through all major digital retailers and streaming platforms… bon appétit.
- Hors D’oeuvres (prod. by The Maharaja)
- ’97 Sh*t (prod. by Level 13)
- I Am… (prod. by Zent Keyz)
- The Coldest Winter (feat. Wavvy Will McGrady, Banko Fresh & Rashad) [prod. by Twist L’s]
- Plata O Plomo (feat. Conway the Machine & Pedro Escobar) [prod. by Twist L’s]
- Madness (prod. by Twist L’s)
- iTunes: bit.ly/iTunesHorsDOeuvres
- Amazon: bit.ly/AmazonHorsDOeuvres
- Google Play: bit.ly/GooglePlayHorsDOeuvres
- Spotify: bit.ly/SpotifyHorsDOeuvres
- Tidal: bit.ly/TidalHorsDOeuvres
Tone Atlas Online:
- Website: www.mrtoneatlas.com
- Twitter: twitter.com/toneatlas
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/toneatlas
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/toneatlas
- SoundCloud: @toneatlas